SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shgans

Window Sound Reduction Question

S G
7 years ago

I am considering Andersen A or 400 Series laminated windows (.060, not the Stormwatch which is .090) for the purpose of reducing sound from a local street and highway. The window is double pane, one annealed and one laminated, with a cavity in between for argon gas (I do not know the size of the cavity.) The rep tells me that the annealed pane is either 1/8" or 3/16", and each of the two pieces of glass used to make the laminated pane are the same (2 x 1/8" or 2 x 3/16"). I am hoping that one of the experts can answer the following question: Assuming the panes are 1/8", do we look at the laminated pane as two panes of 1/8 each or as one pane of 2/8? The distinction is important. If we see the laminated pane as two panes of 1/8 each, it means that the final window has a total of 3 equal panes of 1/8 each (1/8 annealed, 1/8 interior side of the laminated piece, and 1/8 exterior side of the laminated piece). Equal panes provide very limited sound reduction. But if we see the laminated pane as a total of 2/8, it means that the final window has a total of 2 unequal panes (the laminated piece is 2/8 and the annealed piece is 1/8). Two unequal panes helps reduce sound more than two equal panes. And when we add the plastic laminate it increases the sound reduction even more. This construction would provide some valuable sound reduction properties . It could also avoid the resonance issue of two equal panes that I have been reading about on this site (Oberon and others talked about it several years ago.) What do you think? I am also wondering it anyone has experience with the laminated window or other ways to reduce sound. Thank you.

Comments (5)