SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
truckgardener

Water supply pipe reduction questions

truckgardener
17 years ago

I have a 1" supply line coming out of the ground then the Main shutoff valve where it is reduced to 3/4". It is then reduced to 1/2" anywhere it tee's off to go to a faucet, shower, toilet supply etc. All steel pipe. This I am led to believe (by non-pros) is normal.

At the very end of the water supply line it is reduced down to 1/4" and changes to copper. This line then traveles across the rest of the crawl space, through the foundation and about 10' of slab, takes a 90 up through the sill plate and the wall and out through the wall to the water heater. The w/h is in the laundry which is on the slab between garage and kitchen.

The water heater inlet and outlet are both 3/4". When the 1/4 copper supply comes out of the wall, it then is stepped up to 3/4" and hooks to the w/h with a flex line.

Hot water out of the w/h is the exact opposite. 3/4" flex from w/h then reduced to 1/4" copper line back through wall, down through and into slab, through foundation and into crawl space where it then is stepped back up to 3/4" steel pipe. All hot water supply pipes going to kitch / bath etc are reduced down to 1/2" just like the cold supply.

If you've hung with me this far, my question is, does this sound like it makes sense?

Common sense tells me that stepping down from 3/4" to 1/4" and then back up to 3/4" can not be giving me as much pressure on the hot side as I could have.

We can't take a shower if any other thing that uses hot water is being used at the same time. We would like to be able to do so as we are a family of five and that means somethings always using hot water and we always have to wait for it to finish before we can take a shower. That includes using the shower in the other bathroom.

Any opinions and advise would be greatly appreciated.

Al

Comments (5)