SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snailpace_gw

Unsolicited Design Advice Quandary

13 years ago

Happy Friday, Folks! I haven't posted much to this website so thank you to anybody who takes the time to read this lengthy post and respond. I thought this would be the place to ask though, so hear goes: I have a couple friends coming to my house next week. For all their good qualities, they consistently point out how they would change design elements in my house. They have a very specific modern style they stick to in their own home and I always commend them on how lovely their home looks when I visit. Even though it isn't my style, I admire many styles in others' homes, and I respect the effort creative people make expressing themselves. Suffice to say, I don't feel the mutual respect from their comments when they visit. The sticky part is that I have done quite a bit of work since they were last here and they have been asking to come check it out and I am already anticipating feeling crestfallen when they tell me how they would have done it differently. Besides 'get thicker skin not everybody is going to like your home' or 'get new friends' what advice do you have for politely putting an end to the unsolicited design criticism without too much awkwardness? I believe they think they are trying to help so I don't want to be unpleasant but at the same time I think it can be quite narcissistic to think I must need their advice. I would like to ask them not to tell me if they don't like something because my husband and I are happy with it and that is what matters without coming off snippy. I don't have much opportunity to make new friends so I'm trying to word it appropriately.

Comments (42)

• 13 years ago

Before they arrive I would tell them on the phone that you are so happy they are coming and looking forward to seeing them .also that you are anxious for them to see your new reno's amd that you and hubby are so happy with the results so if they are not please don't tell us and ruin our happiness. You can sorta of say it a joking way but they will catch on.

• 13 years ago

Hmmm...could you call to confirm and while you are chatting, mention with great enthusiasm how much you have worked on your space, how much YOU like it and, although it is not their style, you can't wait for them to see what you have accomplished? Then, when they come, if they start to lecture, just stop them mid-sentence with a smile, shake of the finger, and say, "Uh, uh, uh...not changing anything...I love it" and pass them the caramels.

Don't let them hijack your joy in your space!

• Related Discussions

HELP! New member w/ Home Depot quandary

Q

Comments (18)
    Hi - thanks for the info John and msgreatdeals. I went onto HD website and Lowe's site too, and I found the info about the $ off, 50% off finishes, and free kitchen base with order of 10+ cabinets. I sent these to my KD to see if they are honoring them. It turns out that the deals they are offering are store deals, not cabinet manufacturer deals. My KD contacted her KM rep, and was told that they will be offering the 50% off the finishes starting on 5/8. That is good news for me because I am selecting painted cabinets, so it's a savings of 7.5% on everything. KD also gave me some good information about how this all works - it seems I cannot price out apples to apples with her price vs. big box store because the BB stores contract for a lower per box price with the cabinet manufacturers, but their prices on molding, trim, toekick, brackets, specialty inserts, etc., are much higher. So, she gave me a price on one piece of molding so I could price it with a BB and see. Over $2k of my cost is in the moldings and accessories. She did not mention a price hike on 5/4 - I would assume her KM sales person would have said something about it - so again, this may be a BB vs. other dealer thing. Lynne
    ...See More

Follow up to Design Advice Quandary

Q

Comments (28)
    I'm just seeing the new replies now, thank you again for the considerate comments and the appropriate 'vampire' responses. I have also considering asking the guy if he was emotionally scarred from a traumatic plantation shutter experience as a child. I really need to brush up on my sarcasm with him. I have some sweet friends as well but none of them enjoy decorating so yes, dianalo, it is a nice boost to get the support from this forum :) Gam51, I bought the shutters through our Home Depot, and they contract out to a Denver company called Duratex so they are manufactured close to where we live; they have been a great product but I don't know if your HD would use a different company in your region of the country. I priced out cutting my own rods from BB&B then found these ones cheaper than DIY at JCPenney on clearance.
    ...See More

Countertop quandary....second thoughts

Q

Comments (83)
    I'm not a designer, but I wanted to tell you what my experience with this stone has been. I have white macaubus quartzite, and I can tell you for sure that it looks really good on top of black cabinets. I don't know if the buttercup colored cabinets would look good with the macaubus. I think white, off white, light or dark grey, dark blue and black/off black look good with this stone. But I did see one pic on Houzz that had stained brown cabinets with it which looked good. You are right that it's easy to clean and care for. We treat it just like granite and it has not stained, chipped or etched. It fits well with the style of my kitchen and house. My kitchen is transitional. I don't have anything as bold as your entertainment center. All that being said, I think you should design everything around your entertainment center since you said you really like it and that it is definately staying. I already told you I'm not a designer, but just envisioning the macaubus counter, black cabinets below, buttercup colored uppers, and the large brown entertainment center - they just don't seem to go together. I think if I were you I'd decide which element you love the most and design around that. If you decide the central designing element is the quartzite, and you want the black cabinets under it, then maybe you could paint the entertainment center the same distressed black. But if you decide that the stained entertainment center is your favorite element, then maybe you do stained brown cabinets on the island under the quartzite to tie in the stained look. My semi-designer friend told me to always have elements int he room "talk" to each other. We didn't use a designer. This little bit of advice helped me out. Each finish or color has something else in the space that it talks to. If you give the entertainment center something to talk to in the kitchen (by painting it the same distressed black as the island, or having a stained element in the kitchen), then it will no longer be the elephant in the room; it will look like you always planned it to be there with your kitchen. Sorry to go on and on. Something about this post got to me!
    ...See More

Wood laminate or engineered hardwood quandary. Advice/ experience need

Q

Comments (3)
    People keep saying certain floors are better if the basement floods but, quite frankly, if that happens it is likely everything would need replacing, anyway, Not true for tile with an uncoupling membrane or natural stone. Even low pile carpet can be saved provided the flooding is from clean water. Laminate in a basement only if it's on top of plywood and XPS insulation or a dimpled membrane, otherwise the natural drive of water vapour upwards will encourage mould growth. We currently have engineered hardwood glued down on our recently purchased home. Looks good. But it's what the house came with after being rehabbed for a year due to fire damage.
    ...See More
  • 13 years ago

You're not going to change them, so don't even try. But you can change the way you react to their suggestions.

It's been my experience that those that offer unsolicited decor suggestions tend to be either very insecure about their own decisions or control freaks. And I don't pay much attention to people who critique based on those reasons. And you shouldn't either.

Whichever they happen to be, just remember that what you've done pleases you; it doesn't have to please them.

But, if you feel you have to say something, then be sure you say it with a big smile.

You might say something like this if they make suggestions. "You know, we did consider doing it the way you're suggesting but thought it would look tacky in this style home." AND SMILE!!!!!

If they're good friends you shouldn't lose them over this. It may get them to stop before they open their mouths next time.

• 13 years ago

How about "if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all!"

• 13 years ago

All four of you have great input, thank you! I had been considering the pre-meeting phone chat as suggested, to attempt to prevent the 'lecture' before it happens so I will definitely do that. I'm not a great speaker, I tend to lose my words when I'm flustered, so thank you for the suggestions; I can definitely remember Cyn427's advice with the 'love it not changing anything' phrase to stop them in their tracks. I would love to be able to be bold enough to phrase it like Monablair writes but I am thinking I may have to get drunk first, ha!

• 13 years ago

I too like the idea of the pre conversation telling your friends just how much both you an your husband love what you have done.
    I have a friend who has what I think is a wacky wing chair in her newly renovated home. (Supposedly it is a well known fabric designer) When I entered the living room and looked at this chair, before I even said anything (which I would not have in any way hurt her feelings) she quickly sat on the chair and explained how it was her favorite thing in the room! Originally this chair was slated for her bedroom but she wanted to give it more exposure and is going to decorate around it! To each her own!
    So, I guess what I am savin is, if you show your enthusiasm as soon as your friends walk in, I can't imagine them raining on your parade. Good luck.

• 13 years ago

And when you feel that flustered feeling where you can't get the words out ...just keep smiling at your friends and silently repeating this thought in your head .....opinions are like backsides; everyone has one and most of them stink:)

You'll feel better on the inside.

• 13 years ago

Remember that a united front always helps too!

And the "broken record" method of Sales ....

"WE know these changes MAY not be your style ... but WE are SO thrilled with the changes ..."

And then your DH can also say the same kind of comments too .... "Yes -- the new ....... (fill in the blank) is GREAT!!!"

And yes -- a pre-meeting phone call will help too! :)

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• 13 years ago

I would call both individually. I would say we have been working on our house and we are so pleased with the end results, BUT.... you know there is always going to be someone to say something rude and spoil it. Or something to that effect. Or just roll your eyes when they say something you donÂt like!!! That always works.

• 13 years ago

If you could get yourself in the mindset of understanding that an alternate approach to a design project is just different and not superior, you could enjoy their company without being deflated by their comments.

And, you can always make it a teachable moment for the obtuse. "Ah geez, I feel so bad. After all my hard work. Is there anything at all you like about what I have done here?"

• PRO
    13 years ago

If you could get yourself in the mindset of understanding that an alternate approach to a design project is just different and not superior, you could enjoy their company without being deflated by their comments.

Ooooh, I think even I could do THAT one! :~D We need one of those FacBeook "Like" buttons here on our dec forum.

• 13 years ago

You can't completely control what your friends may say, but you can control your reaction to any negative comments. I'm sure your space looks fantastic, especially if you've weighed in on this forum about your project :o). Please don't let anyone steal your joy.

I understand that a different style appeals to your friends, but I don't understand why they feel it's necessary to vocalize condescending remarks when you've obviously worked hard on something that you love and of which you are proud. If their manners are as tasteful as their decorating sense, they ought to know better than to insult a friend who is obviously not looking for their decorating wisdom. Maybe it somehow makes them feel better to put others down, even if it is under the umbrella of "helping" out. It's an unfortunate ugly side of envy.

Hopefully they will be kind and thoughtful, but if not, put on your rhino skin, play that broken record mentioned above, and hold on tight to the things you love about your space.

Jan

• 13 years ago

I've had a few people do that to me.

A tradesman walked through my house to get to the porch to see about refinishing the stained concrete and noticed my deep kitchen drawers were off the runners (at the time I had already addressed this, the carpenter has come out and since installed all new full pull out runners)and proceeded to tell me how my builder didn't use the right materials, what I should do, pointing out little things wrong with my (5 year old) home. This was a guy that was here to see about refinishing outside concrete. Then he proceeded to tell me about what he thought my house was worth. I kid you not.

I ushered him outside and got to business and ignored his comments, but it brought to mind a very few people that have done the same thing. My own BIL walked into our home the first time and immediately pointed out that he could see a few nails through the stair risers (he had just gotten his contractor's license but has yet to ever build a home).

So, after the concrete guy's visit last month, I've decided that the next person that unsolicited, makes similar comments (I'm not referring to honest, helpful comments) I'm going to get a pad from my desk drawer and a pen, shove them in their hands and ask them to please write a list of things they see that they don't like and then just continue with whatever it is we are doing--walking through the house, visiting, whatever, and here they'd be, stuck with a pen and pad.

I can't wait for the chance to try this out.
    Maybe you can do it first.

Your friends seem that they could be jealous, insecure, or perhaps need to feel dominant over you. That's usually the kind of people that do these things. I guess there's the chance that some are just rude and say what they think--but they means they are self absorbed and thinking more of themselves and what they want to say rather than your feelings.

• 13 years ago

OK, I'll be the odd (wo)man out here and offer a dissenting opinion. You're happy with how your decorating projects turned out, and, I hope, your friends, so just relax and enjoy their visit. You know ahead of time that they both have completely different taste from yours, so unless they make totally rude comments ("Those window treatments look so tacky -- whatever were you thinking when you chose that ugly fabric?"), just smile and don't take anything they say as a criticism of you or of your space.

There's no need to call ahead and hint that you're expecting them to dislike your decorating style or to warn them not to say anything mean-spirited. At best, you'll sound as though you're dissatisfied with the outcome and lacking confidence in your choices. At worst, your friends will be offended that you seem to be expecting them to be overly critical and negative. If they're well-brought-up and have even a smidgen of social skills, they'll praise the parts they like and not nitpick the parts they would have done differently. If they're not, well, why are they your friends? (I know you said not to tell you to get new friends, but really, if you don't enjoy having them around, you should.)

That said, here's a technique that I've used to help friends with different tastes better "appreciate" my style. Most of my furniture is vintage or antique, and I also have many things that are one-of-a-kind items, including many woodworking and stained glass pieces made by my parents. Virtually everything in my house has a story, so when I show people around, I tell them the story behind each item or explain why it's special to me. For example, "My mother made this stained glass insert to fit my front door and also this glass Moravian star. I wish I had inherited the spatial skill to create such a complex work of art!" Or, "This dining room wallpaper was already here when I bought the house -- it's amazing how well it goes with the antique china that my aunt left me." Or, "My sister painted this watercolor for me." Believe me, it's impossible for anyone to come back with, "Oh, but you should hang a more abstract painting there, something turquoise."

You can do the same thing with your space. "I was so thrilled to find this Edwardian sofa -- don't you think it goes perfectly with the dining set that belonged to my grandparents? I searched all over Podunk City to find this just the right fabric for this sofa, but it was worth the effort. Even my upholsterer complimented me on it." If they understand your thinking and your decorating constraints, they'll not only be better able to appreciate what you've accomplished, but they'll be less likely to criticize it and to compare it to their own decorating context.

Have fun!

• 13 years ago

Wow, thanks for all the responses and support, I appreciate all of it. I will keep it in mind and make the best of it. A couple people hit the nail on the head by implying that they may enjoy dominating/controlling situations. They are both bossy as heck but they can be good friends as well. Thanks again for the thoughts and some laughs too!

• 13 years ago

I assume that if someone doesn't like my house, they are not as evolved as I am :) and I can completely ignore it.

• 13 years ago

Sorry, I have to disagree about the pre-visit phonecall. It makes you sound like you are on the defensive, and puts them on alert.

Who are these people, that somehow you think they know what makes you pleased and happy more than you do, and so cause you to feel doubt about your choices?

I would have them over, and when they make suggestions, reply with the same comment to each suggestion. ÂThat would be another approach". Period. No excuses, explanations, apologies.

Smile, a lot, reflecting your pleasure in your space and the opportunity to share it with them.

• 13 years ago

Count me among those who wouldnÂt bother with an advance call. You canÂt control what other people do or say. You only can control your reactions to it. In your happy, enthusiastic remarks you can mention how pleased you are that the house is finally starting to reflect your taste. If that turns out to be far too subtle, you can just respond to a suggestion with something like, "Oh, IÂm sure it would be lovely, but it just wouldnÂt be *me*.

• 13 years ago

Ditto...no advance phone calls.
    Smile, say thanks for your thoughts and leave it at that.
    Continue to enjoy your home, your way. :)

• 13 years ago

My typical response to unsolicited advice about something that I feel passionately about that I have done: w/ a smile on my face and a plate of cookies in hand I say "Well luckily I didn't ask you now did I? Would you like a cookie?" and w/o missing a beat ask them something about them.

I'm pretty sure I'm turning into my mother becuase I wouldn't thank someone w/ an unsolicited negative response w/ a Thank You. What would I be thanking them for?

Enjoy everything wonderful that you've done! You can't please all of the masses all of the time.

• 13 years ago

How about this: the first comment they make, you burst into tears. Sobbing uncontrollably, you manage to say, "B-b-but I tried so hard! I t-t-tried so hard to make everything just the way YOU like it!"

But seriously. It's a tricky situation. You have gotten some very good advice here. I doubt that you'll be able to change them; they sound very self-centered and yes, crass.

The pre-visit phonecall is a good idea. You might try pitting them against each other. "I'm sorry to have to say this, Mabel, but sometimes Fred's comments about my decorating hurts my feelings. Could you speak to him?"

And whenever I have an awkward phone call to make, I write my words out beforehand. It really helps.

Good luck! Make sure you come back and let us know how it went!

And remember, if you're going to kill them, do it outside. Bloodstains are so hard to remove.

• 13 years ago

Now that you thought it through and have these great lines to be able to say to your friends, I have a funny feeling that it may turn out opposite of what you expected. When you really accept that it's your place and it's wonderful and you love it, and it doesn't matter what they think, I can bet that their response will be different than usual. They'll probably just talk about their own places instead! Good luck, I can't wait to hear what happened!

• 13 years ago

I have been thinking about your post on and off since it first appeared, and it occurred to me that my mom gives me unsolicited design advice all the time, which is funny because she isn't really into decorating or anything. But, she'll see one of my prim dollies, and she'll say, "Oh, that's nice, but I wouldn't pay money for it." LOL! I never have to wonder what she's thinking! But, it's easy for me to blow this off with my mom, and we even laugh about it.

A mother once told her child, "Always tell the truth, but don't always be telling it!" Certainly most people with good manners know better than to insult a friend, even if they fully believe themselves to be "right". I suspect your friends know better too, but simply must assure themselves of their superiority at your expense. You may find that the better your place looks, the more likely your friends are to make negative comments.

I read somewhere once advice to actually say, "ouch!" when someone makes an insensitive statement. This draws attention to their behavior. However, I'm not sure I agree in all cases. Doing so indicates that you have been hurt, which mean people may interpret as a weakness and continue on with their meanness!

I know it's hard to take it when someone criticizes your efforts. Check out my recent lamp thread, and you'll see a sharp, insulting remark. Most people would feel hurt or at least put off by negative comments. But you have the benefit of knowing the stage is set for such a thing, and you can now prepare yourself positively.

Again, you know your space looks great, and you love it. So, everything is good, and your friends can't change that with their comments.

Jan

• 13 years ago

I will definitely follow up next week with the tale of the visit. You guys have me actually looking forward to it now just for the comedic value. Jan, I just read your lamp post, you handled that tasteless remark with grace. Your home reflects that grace, it's lovely. Btw, I think our moms could be related, lol.

• 13 years ago

I would not make a pre-meeting phone call. Don't over think it, keep your response honest and to the point. After all, they are your friends.

Something like, "I thought you might say that but you know my style is so different from yours and we are so happy with our choices."

• 13 years ago

My daughter would never knowingly hurt my feelings for the world, but we have different styles. She is 28, has an almost new home, likes transitional with a little contemporary. I'm 58; my home is a modest 40 year old ranch that I have been "updating" for the past 3 years (at a snails pace). My style is who knows?? Traditional with vintage pieces and a little bit country. Occasionally when we are shopping or discussing things we are doing to my house, she will make suggestions that are just not right for me. I always point out ""Yes, that is very nice..or so cute..or whatever, but it is just not ME or just not suitable for MY STYLE. But it would sure be NICE IN YOUR PRETTY LITTLE HOUSE". Then she understands and agrees with me...most of the time!

It's all about accepting that different folks have different tastes and style, and seeing the beauty in what they have done.

• 13 years ago

No, don't call in advance. Don't indicate that you are even thinking about what they might think, in advance or during the visit. Faced with a critical remark, I always like the "ouch!" response, but with a confident smile, and in a tone that really says, "Who raised you, dear? Wolves??."

• 13 years ago

Oh boy, I have so been in your shoes. You've gotten some great ideas here.

Our home is traditional mixed with antiques, lots of wood. We have a lot of friends who are very into contemporary, gloss and glass. And of course those are the "bossy" controlling friends. Good friends but different tastes.

I've heard all kinds of things that hurt me but I don't think they were said with the intent to hurt (okay, maybe a few.) Now I just say, "Thank you for your opinion." and move on. It's taken me some practice to be able to do it without a wavering voice but now I've gotten pretty good at it. I've stopped a couple of people in their tracks but one gal just takes it as permission to keep on talking about all the things she doesn't like, she thinks is wrong, etc. For her I say, "My grandmother used to tell me that people came to see me and not my house. I guess she was wrong."

She usually shuts up. :)

Seriously, try to roll with it if you can.

• 13 years ago

I wouldn't call them. You're placing too much leverage on their opinion AND they may actually like what you've done.

If they offer suggestions other than what you've done, I'd ask them where they were when you were working on it? Lighten the moment and forget their comments. Are they professionals?

• 13 years ago

I wouldn't call in advance. I would just listen and smile and say "but I like my choice so much better".

I have many friends that don't have the same style that I have and if they ask me something like do you think this goes in here I will be honest, if not I say nothing.

A few years ago I bought a new lamp and my grown daughter said that she didn't like it and I said "you don't have to like it because I purchased it for me".

• 13 years ago

If or when the subject comes up, you could smile and say, "That's the great thing about opinions. Everybody has one". Carry on and enjoy yourself.

• 13 years ago

Well, you've gotten some great advise. Shame on them really for lacking the courtesy to return your kind gestures and just admire your space without criticism or suggestions of change. I agree with Cyn. You basically just have to not let them cross that line and it's not what you say but how you say it that matters. Her suggestion I think would definitely get your point across without offending.

Now call me crass but why it's important that you don't take care not to offend them when they obviously feel it's okay to be thoughtlessly hurtful themselves is beyond me; I just know that's what we've all been taught and it's the right thing to do.

In the meantime though, why not post pics so we can admire your changes! I know I'd love to see what you've done!

• 13 years ago

I'm sorry because it sounds like you're almost dreading this visit, which isn't how it should be between friends at all. I wouldn't call in advance; just remember that everyone has different styles, and some people are more gracious about accepting others' differences.

Over many years of doing volunteer activities for school and kids' sports teams, I've had my share of unsolicited advice. (Always from people who let someone else do all the work, even tho I work full time and many of them don't work at all.) My standard response is now along the lines of "that's a great idea -- next year you can head up this committee and make that happen!" That shuts them up. (Or, when refereeing a soccer game, I'd just hand them my whistle. That shut them up too.)

I'm thinking along the same lines for home "advice." Something like "...That would be great in your house; maybe you should do that. In my house, I love THIS!" Also, you can just laugh and say "It's a good thing we don't live together, because our styles are so different!... Now, who wants another margarita?"

• 13 years ago

I think I'd find some new friends. Goodness, if my friends caused me to reach out for advice about their insensitiveness, I'd reconsider having them over. I loved the idea of telling them that you considered the idea they suggested but decided it would be tacky in your space.

Meet them elsewhere for a bite and a visit :)

• 13 years ago

Hahahaha! Yes! Margaritas! THAT's the answer!

• 13 years ago

Dead silence to all their remarks, that should stop them. I have a friend who has a knack for making comments that border on critical, I say nothing at all.

• 13 years ago

Just because people are bossy and controlling does't mean you can't keep them as friends. My family and friends would have dumped me ages ago if that was so! In fact most of my friends and family are also bossy and controlling and speak their minds. Often we lack for tack, but we are well meaning and don't intentionally want to hurt people's feelings. When my mom goes to my SIL's and gives design advise (don't you thing those chairs would be better over there) my SIL says "mom I love them right were they are". the discussion is over and the conversation moves on to other less threatening things. Believe me, us bossy people understand the HAND up and don't take offense.

• 13 years ago

Great suggestions so far. Responses like "that is a great suggestion and it would look marvelous in your home...we aren't headed in that direction though, we are in love with our style so we'll keep going that way, but it is fun that our decorating styles are so diverse, it makes our visits with each other so much more fun"...boom move to the next topic.

• 13 years ago

Your such a nice person, a people pleaser.

If that alabaster lamp you have is a indication of your style you have nothing to worry about.

As hard as it is don't compliment them so much on their decor. People that give their opinions so easily, crave exceptance. I know they are your friends and that you like them very much, I get that, I do.
    And quite candidly, we've all been in your shoes and it's stressful.

Just have fun and enjoy your friends and realize they are just like that, big deal, they can't help it.

• 13 years ago

As hard as it is don't compliment them so much on their decor. People that give their opinions so easily, crave exceptance.

I was talking about your friends needing exceptance!!!!!!!!!

• 13 years ago

"Thankfully we all don't have the same taste, or our houses would all look alike!"

• 13 years ago

ok so when are these friends coming over??? My MIL is the same way, "tells" me what I should do...even if she can see that is not the direction I'm going...I don't know why we care what other people think but we do...

It's sounds like you already know what to expect--I have a couple frieds like that. They are your friends and you want to visit with them, but you know that irritating conversation is gonna come up...(it's sorta like "ok, here we go...")

Good luck with your visit...Can't wait to hear back on how it goes...