SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Putting range hood wiring in a surface mount electrical box?

artemis78
13 years ago

In a final inspection for a kitchen renovation, we hit a glitch with our hardwired range hood---the electrician just had the wires coming out of the wall, and they need to be in a junction box of some sort. The electrician is heading out to fix this, of course, but I'm trying to figure out what he's going to show up with so that we know whether we need to take the venting for the hood apart before he arrives later this week.

Obviously I need to check with him directly to make sure everything is to our state's code and will pass the inspection, but I'm hoping someone can give me some general ideas/feedback on what the usual wiring for a situation like this should look like.

Can we use a surface mount junction box of some sort to contain the wires? If we do this, we have room to screw it into the wall behind the venting for the hood. If the electrician needs to install a recessed box, we'll have to take the hood and ductwork down---not the end of the world, but a PITA that I'd love to avoid if possible.

Thanks!

Comments (28)