SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nogreenthumbs_gw

service entrance 100amp to 200 code questions

nogreenthumbs
11 years ago

Hello all,

I recently pulled a permit to have my overhead electrical lines buried(underground service). Currently our home is 100 amp service and the POCO will be putting in 200 amp service feeders underground. POCO is doing all work UP TO meter can and I am doing the rest. Current house set-up is 100 amp service from meter can to 100 amp disconnect, from disconnect to 100 amp main panel about 25' away. There are also no ground rods on this house. Home is grounded from main panel to water pipe.

I am wanting to just leave all the 100 amp stuff just the way it is. I am not ready at this time to switch the panel and everything over to 200 amp. That means that I would have feeders only rated at 100 amps (#2AL) coming out of the 200 amp meter can going to my 100 amp disconnect. Is this allowed?

Also, on the ground rods. I know I need two ground rods 8' long and 6' apart. What I'm not sure is does the ground conductor go to the disconnect and then the main panel becomes a sub-panel, or does the ground conductor go right to the main panel? I've talked to a few electricians/searched the web and everyone has a different answer.

Thanks for any info,
Ron

Comments (21)