SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cansari_gw

Dispute Over Payment for Electrical Work

cansari
14 years ago

In connection with a full bath remodel, as part of my agreement with the GC, the GC agreed to do "all electrical wiring and labor (excluding trim and fixtures)" for the project. After the job started, I noticed and pointed out to the electrician (a subcontractor) that one of the circuits was overloaded (circuit was pulling 17 amps on a 20 amp circuit, mostly from a 15 amp heating floor system that was part of the project), and his suggestion was to run a new "home run" circuit from the breaker box (a long run) - I told him I agreed with that approach. The electrician asked the GC for extra money for this work after it was done, and the GC declined and told the electrian to ask me since I am the one that requested the work. I responded that I'm not responsible since adding the circuit was a necessary part of the project (since the circuit was overloaded) and not an optional change order, and my contract with the GC includes all wiring and labor for the project. Does it appear from these facts that I am correct?

Comments (20)