SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sjay_gw

Dispute with painting contractor

sjay
16 years ago

I hired a painting contractor to paint 2000 sf our century home before we moved in, including our brand new kitchen cupboards. The contract including painting all walls,woodwork and ceiling throughout my living room, dining room, butler pantry, kitchen, foyer and staircase/hallway to second floor. In addition, it specifically states the contractor will fix major plaster problems with my living room ceiling.

Several disputes have arisen with my contractor but the two majors ones are

1. My front hall closets in the foyer were not painted because unbeknownst to me they were not included in his fixed price. He tells me this is standard practice, that painting a room doesn't include painting closets. This is what his estimate form looks like

Center Hall

_ woodwork _ ceiling _ walls _ fiberglass patch

_ sash cords _ major plaster _primer

There are about 10 other options that look like this. Nowhere is there an option to pick closets.I really feel like since he was hired to paint the entire first floor, the two closets in the center hall should have been included. I am certain I was never asked if I wanted the closets painted as an extra because I would have told him to include it wit his estimate.

Is he correct this is not common practice? He has done some other shady things so I am at the point where I don't trust his word anymore.

2. The bigger question with my contract is that he was suppose to do major plaster work on my living room ceiling. He performed the work, but it still looks just as bad as before. He claims I have 'weird' plaster that somehow it won't take the repairs and paint. He is the second person to do some of these repairs. He told me the first person did a bad job. But now, he recommends I contact another person to get this work done. He charged me in excess of $1K to fix the ceiling and not offered me any of my money back to hire someone.

Is this an area where I have a leg to stand on?

The is a professional painting company, they were my highest quote and I hired them specifically so I wouldn't end up with shoddy work. The entire job was close to $20K. I would feel differently if I hired a low end painter at a bargain basement price.

Comments (20)