SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lannadelarosa_gw

Upgrading 60 amps to 200 amps without major rewiring?

lannadelarosa
16 years ago

I am in the process of buying an old house built in 1921 that does need a lot of updating that I am planning to do the ol' catepillar way: inch by inch. That being said, my preferred insurance provider refused to insure my home that currently has 60 amps of power with a fuse box (in operating condition) - no active knob and tub wiring though. I got another insurance provider that did not have these qualms but I think that upgrading my power might be one of my higher priorities because several of the other things I would like to tackle, like some HVAC would be nice, require better power.

That intro aside, here is my question: Is it possible to replace the old fuse box with a new circuit breaker box and update the power to 200 amp without also investing in major house rewiring at the same time? Not only can this be done, but is it incredibly stupid to do it this way? My preference is to do the rewire room by room as I remodel - the first room I will be renovating to the studs is going to be the bathroom.

Another related question: How problematic would it be to later move the sparkling new breaker box from one of the walls in the kitchen to an opposite wall in the kitchen after I remodel the kitchen in, oh, 4 years (total gut job with rewiring and plumbing and gas, etc, probably the last room to be remodeled)? Is the movement of the circuit breaker box possible or, y'know, cost prohibitive and retarded?

Please feel free to talk baby talk to me because this is my very first house and I've never had to deal with any of this stuff before.

Comments (18)