SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
try_hard

Remove the arc-fault breaker?

try_hard
16 years ago

Let me preface my post by saying I have no knowledge of electricity and might be using incorrect terms.

I just moved into my new construction home. The breaker that controls outlets in the master bedroom, bathroom, and closet keeps blowing. We can't find any pattern - and believe me, we've tried. I'm really nervous that it will happen overnight and my alarm won't go off for work.

The electrician has already been to our house once. He replaced the breaker in the box in the garage and then it blew again while he was still in the house. He told me that lots of people have problems with "arc-fault" breakers and that many people decide to pull them out and replace them with regular breakers; however, he also said that code requires the arc-fault breaker. He told me to wait a few days to see if the new arc-fault breaker blew and call him if so. Well, it has, twice. So I'm ready to call him out here again.

I'm not satisfied with his suggestion of pulling out the code-required breaker and putting in an old-style. I think he should find a way to correct this problem, not just avoid it. However, before I say that to him, I want to be sure that what I'm saying actually makes sense.

Opinions, please?

Thank you!

try_hard

Comments (16)