SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
miapjp

Help - did I rub through the stain? Veneer/Parquet

miapjp
14 years ago

Help me please! I bought this cabinet (maybe a liquor cabinet?) and the guy said it was mahagony veneer, and to just polish it up with some steel wool. There's a milky haze on lots of it, and it feels kind of sticky. I cleaned it off, then used Formsby's Buildup Remover and got lots of dirt off, but not the haze. So I used some 000 steel wool and rubbed with the grain for that specific square. There was a white powdery residue gumming up the steel wool, I thought it was old wax. But - *without* much rubbing - it started to get splotchy, looking as if I'd rubbed right through the stain (or whatever's on there). From what I'd read, it should rub out the finish to a nice shine, not literally rub out the stain! Plus, the lighter spots aren't shaped like you'd expect when rubbing in a straight line, you'd think it'd be just an oval. The first pic shows the entire cabinet top and the haze, the second shows the components of the door (sorry, I've never done this before and don't know the correct terminology). The third shows the top and you can see the two squares I worked on. The last two are close-ups of the trouble spots.

What did I do wrong? And how can I fix it? Luckily I only paid $25 (although it's $25 more than I can spare - I couldn't resist!)

Comments (4)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH