SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
equest17_gw

Help - no overhead light, what lamps to use where?

equest17
14 years ago

I've posted my family room before, but now I need some different advice. This room has no ceiling junction box for an overhead light. It does have two wall sockets on each side of the couch wired to a light switch, so any lamps or light fixtures I plug in there can be easily turned on and off. Because of textured ceilings and the direction of the ceiling joists, wiring an overhead light from the existing sockets is not an option right now. So, I'm trying to figure out what lighting I need.

The room has several windows, but they face north and east and our lot is very shaded by trees, so the room is almost always quite dark (I had to use the "night snapshot" setting on the camera just to get these photos, so the color is a bit off). I currently have a hodgepodge of lamps in here from our last house. I like the little uplights on the piano, but the two floor lamps are just cheap miscellaneous lights from years past (the far one has a glass torchiere shade, but the movers packed it with our fine china, which I have yet to unpack).

The walls are LA Olive 4, but after I found the leather sofa on CL I'm thinking I may need to repaint, probably SW Camelback, as seen in the the dining room. That might help lighten up the room a bit. The rug, pillows, and some other accessories will be changed; these are just what was left over after we moved in and I filled the other rooms ;-)

I probably need lamps that can use high wattage bulbs and really give off good light. Do uplights and torchieres do this better than lamps with fabric shades? I feel like I have a lot of furniture in the room, but I don't have an end table by one end of the sofa, so that rules out a table lamp, at least on that end. The other end has the sofa table under the window (it doesn't have to go there, but I bought it for the coffee table that came with the set on CL, and that was the only place for it). So I could put a table lamp on it if I wanted, I suppose. Would it be better to do symmetrical floor lamps on each end of the sofa? One floor lamp and one table lamp? Maybe wall lamps or sconces instead? I could wire in wall lights to the existing sockets easily enough and still control them from the switch, so that might work.

The room is fairly long and narrow, so it's hard to get a good photo.

From the foyer doorway, SW corner of the room (lightswitch on the wall to the left out of the photo)

Standing on the other side of the piano, SE corner of the room

Standing in the dining room, NW corner of the room

Standing in front of the sofa, looking toward the west wall

I like the looks of this wall lamp below, but would they look too small for the space if mounted at each end of the sofa? I'll eventually have wall art of some sort over the sofa.

Please give me your ideas! What type of lamps and where should I put them? What styles or materials would look best? I have a lot of heavy wood furniture, so would metal or glass or something like that make a nice contrast? I know I've seen some threads by you lamp-lovers, so please share your knowledge and inspiration with me!

Comments (5)