SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katrina_tate

No overhead kitchen lights - transformer issue - dimmer & kable lights

Katrina Tate
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I've been around and around for days with Tech Lighting, Edge Lighting and Lightology about my kable lighting system with K hello heads (700khello3) and MR16 bulbs (9W LEDs) not working with the DVLD-600P dimmer that is compatible. We have 4 transformers for 4 separate kable runs.

It turns out that my Tech Lighting system is connected to 4 Edge Lighting transformers. I'm told that should not be the problem and although both Edge Lighting and Tech Lighting said the warranty will be voided if we connect the system using competitors parts. The owner of Lightology agreed in writing to cover the warranty period.

The electrician tested 1 k-hello head on the transformer in the walk-in closet. He did not connect or test the kitchen lights. The light worked but once the dimmer was connected, the light would not turn on at all. I called Tech Lighting and was told to confirm the part number of the transformer, not just from the order but take a photo. That is when I discovered we had 4 Edge Lighting transformers with a Tech Lighting system. I called Tech Lighting again, after taking the photo, and was told that the load could be the issue, that 1 light on the system was not enough to trigger the dimmer. The led heads are 9 Watts with 4 heads per run; over the island will have 4 heads plus 3 pendants. The transformer is 150 Watts, 12 Volts.

Per Lightology, the electrician should add all 4 heads to the kable in the closet to test the dimmer. If that does not work, they said try a second dimmer (dimmer may be the issue). If that does not work, then they need to speak with the engineers again. The tech from Edge Lighting also said it could be a load issue, but the lowest watt transformer they sell is 150 Watts.

We are moving back in this week with no kitchen lights, no closet lights and the kitchen unfinished (cabinet layout issue being fixed that I detailed in another post http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/4177457/ikea-cabinet-install-help-does-this-look-strange#18411511

Any ideas what could be causing the dimmers not to work?

Our kitchen was designed around this lighting (not allowed to drill into the ceiling) so we have no overhead kitchen lights if this system does not work. The electrician used 12 gauge wire and the transformers are very close to the kables, not sure if this is important, but I was asked.

test of 1 k hello head without dimmer

kitchen lighting layout with transformers

Comments (14)