SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lowvoltage_gw

single pole switch

lowvoltage
17 years ago

hi all, i am currently helping a friend finish off his basement. he is wanting to add two can lights above his bar area, but wants it on a sperate switch from the other lights already in the room. we are going to put a two gang box in place of the single and it will be feed from a seperate circuit.

my first question is , i know all grounds should be tied together in the same box, but what i don't know is are the grounds all to be tied together even if there is two different circuits in the box?

my second question is , i pulled the cover off the single switch and noticed that there was only one 12/2 coming into the box. is this considered a switch loop? i did notice the white didn't have black tape on it . being that it is a switch i'm not sure if the white requires it. also i'm not familiar with the inerts off a switch but with the power on i used my tester on the two terminals and found that when the switch is off my tester lit up but with the switch on my tester showed nothing. shouldn't there be constint power from the two terminals ?

thanks

(p.s. i read the postings here alot and you guys give great advice ....thanks again)

Comments (3)