SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pjsluna

Advice pleaes for Refinish Bannister & Newels

17 years ago

Good Day all

We have a 1970's stained oak bannister (natureal stain) that needs to be revitalized/refinished. It is in good condition as far as scratches/dents but is dirty in high contact areas.

We just replaced plywood stairs with solid oak treads and risers. The flooring downstairs is a typical golden oak stain. The bannister is more natural i.e. less golden than the floors. It is fine if the bannister stays natural...So I think we will have the stair treads stained to match the newels/bannister....We will paint the ballusters white/

I have had a heck of a time getting anyone to even bid on the job to refinish the bannister and newels. So, we are debating doing it ourself. One person did bid and mentioned he would not strip ...said it would be hard to get the stain out...

He sent us a quote with the following "steps"

Degrease

Apply coat of stain to handrails

Apply sanding sealer

Apply clear finish

From what I have read on Sanding sealers they are usually applied to bare wood so I was confused on use of this type of product

I am guessing he will add a natural stain after cleaning to even out the color.

I would prefer to delegate this job but my DH says he will do it. Can you kindly give advice on 1)Products and 2) steps to go through...I worry about having a nice outcome on the newels which have the turned intracacies.

Thank you in advance for any advice and knowledge you share!

Comments (3)