SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ctybo

tempered window issue - can this window be saved??

ctybo
17 years ago

I'm building a tiny cabin with out of pocket money (and my pocket is certainly out of money).....I have a good builder who is new to the business and has a lot to learn as I do, this being my first-ever house to build. We've had some stumbles but have recovered so far.

My situation is this. I bought all my windows independently of the others, buying quality windows from different sources. I bought a 6'x8' window from my small local window distributer who advertised some clearance and closeout windows at a reduced price. The window I (thought) I purchased was tempered, which is necessary by code because the window is less than 18" from the floor. I took pictures of it along with the ratings sticker and the tempered sticker. There were 4 of the same large windows stacked on top of each other, and I was told they were all the same except for a small difference in sizing, no more than an inch or so difference.

Well, you guessed it. The window that was delivered and installed is not tempered!! I called to ask about it, and the owner said he didn't know that I required a tempered window. There are two windows left that are tempered, but someone else has purchased them and although they haven't been picked up, the rough openings have been cut. (As if mine haven't been!) I bought and paid for my one window first.

He is not willing to rectify this situation, at least not yet, and my builder is trying to calm me down by saying that it's not a big deal, that he can install "permanent" louvres that will cover the bottom of the window and make it 18" from the floor. Says I can take them out later. Also says that plate glass is harder to break than tempered anyway. It may be, I don't know, but I have a 2 year old grandson who will bw jumping around in the house and of course I want him to be safe.

Do you have any idea what I should do? I would appreciate hearing from anybody who knows more than I do about the subject, and that could well be everybody.

I did get the windows for a good price and can't afford to pay to replace it. Please advise!! Thank you, as always.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths