SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mollymcb_gw

Need to vent due to lack of control over situation!

mollymcb
15 years ago

I am a SM who just needs to vent. My DH is a NCP to 2 boys, 14 and 12. In addition to child support, we pay for medical and dental insurance and pay 60% of what insurance does not cover. We recently learned that DSS 14 was getting braces. (No insurance coverage for that.) Even though DH is responsible for paying 60%, BM made the financial arrangements without consulting DH and simply told him what he owes after the fact. (She had only told DH in advance the "range" of prices and that DSS would fall into the "low" end because his was a fairly "easy" case, yet his braces ended up costing $3500 more than the "low" end.) She chose to pay a large sum up front and made arrangements for the rest to be paid in pmts. Now, of course, she wants 60% of the up front money immediately, and we are to begin 60% of the monthly pmts in a couple weeks. I think it is downright rude and inconsiderate not to have consulted DH when choosing the pmt plan, considering that he is paying 60%!

I also question the price of the braces, as I just got my own braces off last week, and mine was a difficult adult case and I used the more expensive clear brackets because my job includes a lot of public speaking, yet my braces cost $2K less than DSS's, and we live in a city vs. DSS live in a rural area where the cost of living is much less. (In case you're wondering, I paid for my braces out of money from my father's estate, since my parents could not afford braces for me when I was growing up.) Had I been BM, having received a price that much more than the estimate, I would have shopped around to see if I could get them done cheaper, but I guess since she is only paying 40%, why bother? DSS 12 is supposed to be getting braces in November, and his are supposedly on the "high end," so I can't wait to see what she tells us we have to pay for them! It is situations like this that leave a bad taste for the whole stepfamily situation. I am afraid to take on any debt out of fear that we might be subject to paying for things the cost over which we have no control or say. Fortunately, I had no children with my ex, but if I did, I surely would let him know the options for big expenses like that before I committed to it! Thankfully, we do have the money to pay DH's share, as we both work full time, but we are now thinking of canceling a trip we had planned for our 9 yr. anniversary. I realize that someone may find something to criticize about what I've said, but before you do, think about how you'd like to be told that you have to pay "X" without having ANY input into the matter!

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH