SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jrek7

Curb Appeal Lacking Due to Steep Sloped Yard

JRek7 (7B - GA)
6 years ago

Hi all. I am generally looking to increase the curb appeal of my house, but don't know where to begin. The main problem is the steep slope of the front yard. Below is a list of my concerns with the way it is today. Does anyone have any ideas about designs to improve the access and appearance of the front of my house? I just don't know where to begin because of the slope.

• Pine/understory trees - Although I like the shade and slope stability they provide, I think they are messy and make the front look unkempt because they block the view of the house. I would really like to remove at least some of them and replace with more decorative beds. Should I? Which ones to remove? Or could this be achieved through trimming?
  • Sidewalk to front door - Don't like how this is straight as an arrow with a 90 degree turn and too close to the house. Would it be worth bumping out/expanding the sidewalk a bit? Unfortunately doing so would cut into the small amount of grass I have. (There's none in the back either.)
  • Street access - Foot traffic needs to climb up our steep driveway. Would adding a walkway with stairs to the street be beneficial and more inviting?
  • Steep driveway - Low cars and long commercial trucks can't make it up the driveway. I think curving the drive so that it meets the street closer to the middle of the property would lessen the grade. I expect this would be prohibitively expensive though.

Time for everyone's favorite part... Pics :) Below is a partial view of the survey we had done when purchasing the house last year and a few pics from the street. I've tried to follow Yardvaark's recommended picture layout. (Can you tell I've been lurking?)

Any and all feedback is welcome. There are no bad suggestions when brainstorming. Thanks for your time.

Comments (17)