SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
irishgi

unsure wiring to storage

15 years ago

Recently I made a "shed" in terms - but its actually its own independent structure made from brick/concrete. As this property lacks a garage, basement, or even an attic it was desperately needed. The "shed" has 8 electrical outlets - 1 inside and 1 outside light, and has its own breaker box. I live on a property that has been in the family for decades now - and the word from higher up told me to run an underground cable from the shed to where the old well was (which happens to be on the other side of the property arrg - quite a few days of work with a shovel, pitch fork, and a chain saw)- and wire it to the cable that supplied the old water pump with electricity. and then re-connect the old cable in the breaker box in the house. (as I have redone all the sockets and switches inside the house I have become very familiar with this particular house)

The color code that the cable which ran the old water pump is unlike any scheme in the house (the pump cable being wiring from when the house was constructed). European color code (the 3/4 colors I've become accustomed to) Brown or Black-(hot), Blue (common), and Green/yellow (ground). But the water pump cable is Brown/Black/Blue. We disconnected the electricity on our solar panel water system a long time ago. In the breaker box I found the Black and Brown wires and wired them accordingly to the breaker/timer from the solar panels. connected the cables from the water pump and the shed with an outdoor power socket and the electricity that is running to the shed seems fine. However I am apprehensive because the 3'rd wire (the Blue) I connected to ground just by process of elimination (the blue wire does not seem to run to the breaker box inside the house - just the black and brown).

as I've said, the electricity to the shed seems fine but as the ground contacts are external in a europlug socket I SURE wouldn't wouldn't want any current running to them. But I am also sure no hot wire is running to ground either.

that leaves my assumption correct as the blue was ground on the old water pump, right? and what is the best way to know for sure?

thanks

Comment (1)