SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Possible to change color on dark oak banisters?

When our house was built (1986) the builders stained the oak colonial-style banisters a very dark brown shade. We had no choice on the color. (I offered them $$ to do it lighter but they had to follow the specs as listed) I walked in while it was being done, so I know the stain was Minwax. I don't know if they used a varnish or poly over that: but if they did it's very thin. The surface does not "look" coated, and the dark parts of the grain are recessed and not filled as they would be if several coats had been used.

I have ALWAYS wanted to lighten these. At least make them a richer color. The dark brown is a particularly "dead" shade. Given the facts above, what are my options? I thought of sanding down the simpler parts like the banisters and the flat base of the stair assembly where the spindles go in. I would not expect to get the stain out of the grain: but I like grainy oak anyway. I have sanded off varnish before but have never tried to remove a very dark stain. I have done chemical stripping but that is not an option here. Even when I did stripping, I always found I had to sand anyway.

The turned spindles would be too much of a headache. I would either make those much darker, to contrast, or paint them to coordinate with the oriental stair runner (though the idea of painting oak makes me shudder). Parts of the spindles are very rough, too: obviously no one bothered to sand before staining.

Is this idea possible? We are putting in nice new oak baseboards soon and would really like to upgrade the muddy finish on the stair railings. If the effort of sanding down would be prohibitive, then I would opt to coat them in a glaze (or something) with a reddish, Mission-oak tint.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments (7)