SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ckk1_gw

4 wire oven, 3 wire circuit

ckk1
17 years ago

I hate to rehash this, but I'm a little confused by previous threads on the topic.

This is the situation:

I have a 240v oven in my kitchen that was probably installed in the 80's. It is a 4 wire oven, and it is connected to a 3 wire 240v circuit, where the bare copper and the white from the oven are connected to the white wire fron the wall.

I have a new 4 wire oven that I want to install in the same spot.

Looking through Gardenweb, it seems like it might be against code to wire the new 4 wire oven into the 3 wire outlet, even though it's already done that way.

This only needs to last 6-9 months, since we are tearing out the kitchen, and we just happened to get this new oven early in the process.

Also, assuming it is ok to wire it this way, the wire looks thinner than the wires that go to the electric cooktop (difference circuit). How can I tell what the gauge of the wire is? It's a double ckt breaker in the electrical panel, but I didn't check the amperage of the breaker.

If I need to get a new wire run, any thoughts on how much an electrician might charge for this? We have a crawlspace, it's maybe 25' from the electrical panel, and we don't care if the electrician drills through the floor of the bottom cabinet.

Thanks for any help, sorry to rehash!

--Carey

Comments (4)