SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sportsterd

Wire Guage and amp question

sportsterd
15 years ago

I recently removed a small wall in my home. This wall had wiring for the overhead light and for track lighting in the living room. I traced the wires back to the breaker box and moved the wiring and switch to another wall that was close to the wall I removed (about 2 feet away.)

My question and/or problem is, from the breaker (15 amp) was used a 14-3 guage wire (3 wires and a ground) to a box in the basement under the wall that was removed. Within this box the 14-3 wire was split into two 12-2 wires which went to the switches and from the switches to the lights. The white wires were tied together, a red was used for the one 12g wire that went to the switch and the black was used for the other 12g wire that went to a switch.

Going back to the breaker box, both the red and the black in this 14-3 wire had its own 15 amp breaker.

I am not able to remove the 12 guage wire in the ceiling, nor am I able to get remove 14 guage wire that goes to the breaker box. So this is what I did, and although I know this isn't the proper way to have this set up, I want to know if there are any dangers that I should be concerned with.

As I stated:

the 14-3 wire that comes from the breaker box to a splitter box in the basement I removed and capped the red wire (and removing the breaker for that wire) making it a 14-2 wire. At the splitter box I ran one 12-2 guage wire up to the light switch. At the light switch I connected the two 12-2 wires for each light. (capped the whites twisted all the grounds together and split the black into 2 wires each going to a switch) And finally from the light switches a 12-2 wires each going to its own light.

I know ideally it would be better to run all 14 guage wire on a 15amp breaker or 12 guage on a 20 amp breaker. And I know if it were opposite and the amps were more than a 14 guage wire could handle there would be a risk of melting some wires and possible fire. What are the risks (if any) of splicing a 14 guage into two 12 guage on a 15 amp breaker.

Thanks.

Comment (1)