SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gene_2007

Wiring two ovens on one 50 amp circuit

gene_2007
17 years ago

I am working on installing two ovens - GE Monogram beneath a GE Advantium. According to the installation instructions for the Advantium, these two ovens may be installed on one 50 AMP circuit, which I happen to have available where I am installing. However, due to the length of the existing wire and the need to have access to the wiring box(es) that need to be installed, I have some questions.

My plan is to have one junction box sitting low to the floor that will be accessible behind the drawer below the ovens in the cabinet. This box will have three cables spliced together - the 6 gauge power line, the lead from the lower oven, and a 6 gauge cable leading up to a second junction box.

The second junction box will be installed in the cabinet above the upper oven. This box will contain the splice from the connection to the first box with the upper oven lead.

My questions -

1. Do these hard-wired junction boxes need to be secured in any way? My cabinet maker told me not to secure them, instead leave the cable long so that I can pull the box within reach so that I can wire up the ovens easily. He said if I secure the boxes, it is virtually impossible to reach to the back of the cabinet to do the wiring.

2. How should I connect the wiring in the boxes, especially the first one with three cables, two of which are 6 gauge wire? I am really only familiar with wiring 10 and 12 gauge wires.

Comments (6)