SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

old braided wire - alternative to replacement?

davidrt28 (zone 7)
15 years ago

Hi.

My house is from the mid 1950s. One of the reasons I bought it was I was told that the electric panel and most of the wiring had been "updated". I was assessing this recently...indeed the panel is a newish looking SquareD Homeline, and I'd say most of the wiring has been updated...the kitchen was completely rewired, so was the den, the subfeeder for the cellar, the garage, and 2 bathrooms. (as well as the AC and any other major appliance) However the bedrooms, living room, and dining room are still using old grayish-brown braided wire. It certainly looks intact and I remember my home inspector telling me it was perfectly safe. He did shut off the main breaker and take the cover off the panel to have a look, and tested every single outlet in the house, so he was no layabout. And he claimed electrics was his specialty because he was a former electrician.

However I'm wondering if I could err on the side of caution by replacing the circuit breakers for these circuits with an "arc fault interrupter" breaker. Obviously a concern would be the insulation breaking down at some point and arcing over. (After all, rubber, like everything else organic on this planet, is going to eventually oxidize. Well maybe not teflon if it's kept in a tightly sealed jar...)

One more curious thing, all but one of these circuits appears to have a 20 amp breaker. Was 20 amp wire available in the 50s and commonly used? I can't believe they would have switched out a lower wattage breaker with a higher one at some point in the past which of course, is highly dangerous. Surely the inspector would have noted that? In his very detailed report his only issue with the electrical wiring was some small detail with the grounding bus of the (updated) subpanel in the cellar. He said it was not a serious safety issue. This was an upscale home back then so if it had been available they would have used it.

BTW so far there have not been any electrical anomalies noted in the house, except that if I run 2 microwaves in the kitchen at once (yes, I have 2 and sometimes have been compelled to use both) I will very occasionally trip a breaker but not often. I've traced those wires all the way to the outlet boxes in the kitchen from the panel and they are unquestionable the updated stuff so the age of the wires is not coming in to play in that case. I seldom use both anymore and try to avoid doing so...!

Comments (4)