SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeanie_beth

Flood proofing home--FloLogic or alternative?

jeanie_beth
15 years ago

I am just now recovering from a flood of my home caused from a NEW broken toilet supply line while away from home. $30,000 damage from that little 1/2" line--ruined my floors and walls.

My insurance adjuster said it is best to replace all supply lines every 3-4 years--even steel braided ones--especially the washing machine line. He said that is the #1 line to break in a home--especially rubber ones.

I have replaced all supply lines in home with FloodSafe steel supply lines.

I am still paranoid of line breakage, thus I have been looking at a "FloLogic" water valve from www.flologic.com

They are about $1095--which is $95 more than my deductible.

However, a friend of mine suggests that the general idea of a "FloLogic" system can be implemented for about $100 or less.

He suggests buying a 1" electric sprinkler control valve from any major hardware store and placing it on the main water line just past my side of the city water meter in a meter box housing.

He then says an underground electric line to control the valve can easily be buried to come into house and mount a On/OFF switch at exit door of house. This way I can turn off ALL water into house when exiting.

I know this "poorgirl's" version of a "FloLogic" system will not have the flow sensing capabilites of a true "FloLogic" system, but at least I can rest assured all water into home is easily turned on/off by me upon entering/exiting home.

My only concern is my ice maker on fridge--while OFF in daytime while I am at work, he says it should function most of the time properly as there will still be a little bit of pressured water in line in OFF mode.

My question, do any of you know of a cheaper alternative to FloLogic system or an improvement to my friend's "poorgirl's version"?

Once you have gone thru a flood and all the hassle of it, you become paranoid of a repeat.

Insurance adjustor says more & more supply lines are being maf'd in China now and thus "ain't what they used to be.."--that's why he suggests replacement every 3-4 years regardless of rubber or steel braid.

Thank for any ideas on this...

Comments (12)