SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spazkatt

Bio-mom wants custody of 1

spazkatt
21 years ago

We have a situation that has just recently came up not sure what to do. A little bit of back ground first. I married a man (over a year ago) that has 3 kids (I don't have any)that he has full custody of and has since his divorce. BM sees them every other weekend and 6 weeks in the summer if they feel like going or she feels like making time to see them. They are 2 boys (16 and 14) and the youngest is a girl (13). BM does the bare minimum for them, she pays child support and that is pretty much it (she is currently behind in her child support as she is every year). The youngest still adores her BM no matter what the BM does or says (typical situation is she tells the kids that she is going to call them and never does, or that they are going to do something and then that never happens for what ever reason), which I am finding out it is fairly typical. The BM has not been real reliable when it comes to the kids, and that may be one reason the boys have no desire (that and they are teenagers) to go see their mom. The BM does live with her boyfriend (which we hear is coming to an end) and his 2 kids. So now the problem....BM has asked my husband for custory of the youngest. SD has wanted to live with her mom since the divorce so that part isn't new, but this is the first time since the judge gave my husband custody of the kids the BM has even mentioned (unless she was angery at my husband) it. Has anyone else already gone through this? People are saying that a girl needs her BM, which I guess is true but it is always the best....Does anyone have any suggestions as to handle this?

We are torn as to what to do, the situation there isn't the greatest, but SD wouldn't be in danger either. She might even see that it isn't the wonderful place that she thinks it is, it is much different dealing with it on a day to day type thing as oppsed to just everyother weekend.

Comments (10)