SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kev111

Clashing with Stepson

kev111
16 years ago

First time posting in this forum - just found it today.

My situation takes a bit of a setup, so bear with me. I am 39 and my wife is 42, and this is my first marriage and my wife's second. Our children consist of a 17-year-old son (my SS), a 5-year-old daughter and a 3-year-old son (our biological).

When my wife-to-be and I had started dating and later into the early part of our marriage, I had a great relationship with my SS. We were "buds" though I was still an authority figure on par with his mom, and things were pretty great.

However, along with the typical changes a teenage boy goes through, at 15 or so he and I started clashing and have been doing so far too often in my mind ever since.

I try to be as objective as possible when considering the situation, and I can surely accept that my frustration has likely led me to get angry at times when cooler heads should prevail. I've read a number of posts here where some stepfathers seem downright nutty when it comes to their stepchildren, but I just don't see myself in that category. Perhaps I'm wrong, but let me go on.

At 15 or so my SS started hanging around with the riff-raff most parents fear. His mother and I knew that he was smoking pot and drinking - which he still does. His grades went into the dumpster and he was generally very disrespectful and at times belligerent - not violently but with the use of very strong language to his mother and me.

My problem here is that whenever I tried to institute repercussions, his mother would either not back me up, not continue/keep anything in place, or just plain reverse the situation. As it stands, he still has poor grades, still smokes pot and drinks, and still has a poor attitude in general. Repercussions = none. He has no curfew and stays out until 2:00 or 3:00 (sleeps until noon with the summer here), we outright bought him a car, he has ZERO chores to do around the house, and his sorry excuse for a summer job is to work at a local lake snack bar (only on the weekend and only if the weather permits).

An instance to relate: At one point when he DID have a curfew of 12:30 he wandered in at 4:00 am. I suggested to my wife that he should be grounded and not allowed out the following weekend at all - certainly not the most harsh of penalties I would think. She agreed, and while I was away on business the following weekend she called me to say that my SS wanted to go out that Saturday. I told her we had set up the grounding together and that she needed to hold up, and she told me to speak to him and tell him. I did, but later that night she called to tell me she let him go out because she "hated having to listen to him all night complain".

Lots of situations like this. In another case we were worried about the drugs and had him tested with a home test. When he tested positive for pot we told him we did not want him to smoke any longer (hey, he's a minor and already had run-ins with the law AND on probation from that). We told him we'd retest in 30 days so it gave him time to purge his system, but when the time came to retest my wife refused to go through with it and my SS kept going on his merry way.

I'm not an ogre, but with all of this "us against him" mentality I am now viewed as the bad cop while my wife is the buddy-buddy good cop. It frustrates me, and when I try to impose any discipline (hey you need to get up at 10:30 so you can start getting your body ready for school hours) he just runs to the good cop and need not comply.

I don't mean to vilify my wife. She had a hard time growing up with a crazed father who would threaten her and her siblings' lives - even as far as holding a gun out for them to see. Doesn't take a psych degree to figure that she has been damaged by that and has taken the opposite tact of being overly-permissive. How can I effect changes with all of this given my status as the 'evil stepfather'? I've tried with counseling but my wife is resisting. I am currently being more forceful about it, but I don't want to throw an ultimatum out there yet.

Comments (20)