SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spencer_electrician

shielded cat5 wire necessary? ran through EMT

Hello, I have come across an issue with some cat 5 wire we installed in a church. In a large basement room for a student center, there is to be 5 plasma tv's mounted around the room. Per specs of the architect, the cat 5 was to be ran through EMT (surface mounted on a concrete wall). In my original research I was going to use converters that send computer monitor VGA signal over regular cat 5 wire. Now their video guy has found a device that sends vga out to up to 8 tv's. The only thing is it says shielded cat5 wire must be used. Will the fact that the entire run of cat5 is through 3/4" EMT, accomplish the same thing? Or would the un-shielded cat 5 wires bundled in the conduit have shielding issues with each other. I take it as the shielding sheath in the cat5 is used to shield out rf and emi, which a metal conduit can do the same task. Know this is more of a networking, electronics question but there are a lot of EE's on here and other people that may have came across this situation, thanks for the info.

Comments (11)