SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steppschild

Mr. Sensitivity

steppschild
15 years ago

I mentioned a few weeks ago in another thread that I am getting married in September and that we are eloping. BF has two DD (20 and 24). We've been together a dozen + years and I have lived w/him for four years. I got along very well w/his kids until I moved in. The first night my furniture and I were completely moved in the older DD, who had just washed her hair, was going to sit on my leather furniture. I asked her politely to not sit/lean back because the water would ruin the leather; and as I have previously mentioned she had already ruined her dad's furniture by doing the same with her pink dyed wet hair. That was the beginning of her dislike of me. She moved out for one year and returned this past spring because she said she couldn't afford the rents. She has been more tolerant of me and we actually had a decent conversation last month, but she is again very standoffish.

Here's the upcoming problem: These young women do not know that their father and I are getting married. We are going on a vacation and getting married there. We are sending out announcement cards while we are there, so that when we return everyone will know - and this is how he wants his kids to be notified - YIPES! Last night while I was doing the address labels, I told him he will need to personally write the addresses on the ones for his kids. He asked why and I said because it's already impersonal enough. I disagree and I know it is a VERY BAD IDEA. They will be incredibly hurt and angry and I am certain they will think that it's all my idea. STBDH's dad remarried in a similar fashion when he was a teenager and it didn't bother him at all and that's why he thinks it should be fine, but these are not boys.

His main motivation for this is his EX. Once she finds out about this marriage the poop will hit the fan and she will probably take it out on the younger SD, which is what usually happens. Even my STBMIL (who I told about the marriage before I knew we were to elope) thinks letting his kids know before hand is a very bad idea. Honestly I do see their points of view regarding the EX, but she is still going to find out anyway. - And no, I am not TOW - they split when kids were 2 & 6 and we didn't meet for several more years. Clearly these are not my kids and I don't get to make the decision. When I suggested that he should tell them, he said they were not kids anymore and he didn't need to speak with them first like he did before I moved in.

I believe that it's good to hope for the best and expect the worst, so I want to be prepared. The only think that I can think of, if something is said to me by either one is - This is how your dad wanted to inform you. I thought otherwise and I am sorry you are hurt/angry..., but you'll need to speak w/him. How bad is this going to be? If they do approach me afterwards, what else can I possibly say to them?

Comments (4)