SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stephen90_gw

Mr. Mango's Taproot Troubles! (potted mango advice needed)

stephen90
13 years ago

Getting a mango seed to sprout roots is about the easiest thing in the world, so imagine my surprise when, several weeks after planting him in a clay pot a bit over twice the mango seed's height (so, not very large), there's been no sign of a sprout.

I had him in a paper towel and waited until he had a pretty good root before sticking him in the dirt (though it's curved -- it goes up a ways then straight back down) so I expected some green within 2-3 weeks. Nope.

Today, I picked him up and saw a possible culprit -- a large taprooot sticking out the drainage hole of my pot! This growth is no older than 2-3 days since I check him fairly often, but I don't know what to do.

He's going to be indoors and kept small forever, but I heard that mangoes have very sensitive root systems and so I'm a bit concerned that this may damage him instead of encouraging him to stay tiny. Should I re-pot to a larger container? Leave it alone to stunt growth since I want a small tree? Try again since I have doomed it forever with my terrible negligence(how dare I neglect to check his toes every day!)?

Anyone?

Comment (1)