SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimberly_ussher

problem with hard wood floors...

SaintPFLA
17 years ago

I thought some of you talented folks out here may be able to help me with this "problem"...I hope!

Hoping someone can help me with this wood floor crisis. I have a very elderly kitty (18yrs old...) who has early stage kidney failure -- which means, (you guessed it!)-- occassional urine accidents. FYI...I love my cat -- so the cat is not going anywhere!

My house was built in 1925 and has the original heart of pine wood floors. Last night I discovered a large puddle of urine soaking into the woodfloor. It had traveled under the litter box and was literally sitting in this puddle for, lord knows, how long!!! UGH!

The wood floor area that was wet now has a litter box shaped damage area. The floor turned black in places and warped a bit where the boards connect to each other.

I use a product -- a miracle product I might add - that removes cat urine and the odor: Anti-Icky Poo (seriously- stupid name but it is the only product that works). My vet recommended it. So...no more cat urine odor problem.

Now - HOW do I fix this floor problem? It's about a 3x3 square of liquid damaged floor. It looks like a water damaged/stained wood floor area. It is up against a wall and the trim board rather than in the middle of the room (thank goodness...). Am I stuck with stripping and resanding? Is there anything else I can do to fix this?

I've read online of people using bleach or peroxide -- personally, that seems like a damaging solution to the wood to me and may alter the chemistry of the wood where it may not accept stain in the future.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Comments (9)