SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wingo_43

Old shelf liner...how to remove??

wingo_43
16 years ago

Hi everyone....

I'm usually over in Palms, but have a furniture question.

I recently acquired a hutch (?)..not quite a china cabinet from my late grandmother. This is a nice piece of furniture, appears to be made of pine and has a good solid build to it. At some point in the past she or my grandfather must have applied self-adhesive shelf liner to the top shelves. This piece of furniture is at least as old as me (I'm 45)....don't know about the paper, but its obviously been there quite awhile. I'm assunming this stuff is made of vinyl? But it's so old and brittle now. How do I get it off WITHOUT harming the wood? I'm planning on refinishing the entire piece. On the internet, I've read about using a hairdryer and using something called Goo-Gone to get the liner off, BUT I don't want to use anything that will soak into or affect the wood then cause problems later when I apply new stain and varnish.

You can see in one photo where I started peeling back one corner, but that didn't last long. It quickly started splitting and shredding.....pretty fancy liner though. Even has simulated knotholes!

Thanks for any advice you can give.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (9)