SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wynswrld98

Convert solar lights to electrical with transformer?

Wayne Reibold
14 years ago

I have some very cool solar lights that are VERY unique that don't do very well as solar lights due to too many trees providing shade.

I wanted to find out if it's practical to convert these to electric with a transformer so I can run them as low voltage.

I've looked everywhere for 12v lights anything like these and came up empty so I would like to convert them from solar to electricity if possible.

I have about 15 of them spanning 150' with the power source at the center of that 150' run.

Each solar light has its own solar panel on top of the light and contains 2 AA batteries so is 3 volts.

I know very little about electrical regarding if they could be wired in series (which would be the most practical), would they be run with a 3 volt transformer? or due to 15 of them being connected it's really 45 volts? I'm a total newbie to electrical believe me! Also am curious what gauge wire I'd need to use.

My preference would be to connect the wiring to the output of the "case" that the AA batteries are in to bypass the solar panel and batteries altogether.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Comments (20)