SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kerry_robson46

Convert LED torch lights from solar to Malibu type lights AC 12 v

Kerry Robson
4 years ago

I have solar panel powered led tiki torch light that does not last long due to reduced time in direct sunlight to fully charge battery. I wanted to convert the power to a hard wired landscape type. The hard wired power source is an AC 12 volt system. I hard wired an AC to DC step down voltage regulator to reduce voltage to 4.7 v from the 12 v line. I wired the stepdown directly across the battery terminals of the rechargeable battery without removing the battery. I figured the sensor for the lights would turn the light on at dusk and the power would now come from the battery which in turn is directly wired to the landscape power source thru the voltage step down. Didn’t work. Nothing. Should I have hardwired the voltage step down to the battery terminals and Removed the rechargeable battery? Is my basic concept right. Doesn’t seem to me that the LED flame lights should know where the 4.7 V AC power is coming from. Either a fully charge battery or the transformer as long as it is the same. The battery power would gradually decrease with time but the hard wired power supply would only go out when the timer kicks off. Thanks for any advice

Comments (2)