SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aldra

Step-grandchildren

aldra
16 years ago

I need some advice. My husband is sixty. I am forty-five. He has three children (ages thirty-seven to forty-one) from a previous marriage. One child from an affair (age 20). I have no children (no immediate family). It is the second marriage for both of us. Over the last four years his oldest kids have started having kids. His oldest daughter wants me to be a part of her children's lives. That's hard. We live on separate continents. What I want to know is when I see pictures of my SD (whom I love dearly) with her kids, why do I find it so hard to feel anything? I encourage my husband, when finances allow, to visit his children and grandchildren (he has five in total) and be 'grand-dad'. But I don't want to be 'grand-ma'. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the fact that I have never had children (my last pregnacy we had to abort because the child I was carrying had a severe medical condition which most likely meant I wouldn't have made it to term). I don't think I'm jealous but will admit to feeling a pang of something when I'm around little kids. A loss, like this is something I will never have. But then I will be the first to admit that I've never been overly inammoured with little kids and so I'm not sure what is going on. I want to be cool about it all but I'm not.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville