SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tom418

TELCO Network Interface Box Question

tom418
17 years ago

I have an ARRIS brand Interface box outside the home. I used to have 2 phone lines, but had the 2nd line disconnected 2 years ago. My primary line was wired to the Red/Green of quad cable, with line 2 wired with the Yellow/Black. In the demarc box is a "module" with a provision for 2 lines. There are two short, black cables with RJ14 plugs on them which normally plug into the jacks used for testing by the customer. These feed two pairs of Red/Green and Black/yellow binding posts to supply "tips and rings" for the two lines.

I recently wanted to temporarily use a jack in my house that was hooked up to "Line 2" Yellow/Black only. So, I went out to the demarc box, and figured I could plug the "abandoned" RJ14 plug (which used to feed my second line)into the jack which feeds my current line. It didn't work. In fact, there was no continuity between the end of the plug and the binding posts. (There is continuity between Red/Green binding posts and Plug on the other line)

So, my question is: In a demarc box, is there a direct connection between the RJ14 plug that is normally plugged in, and the Red/Green (or Yellow/Black) binding posts? Or could my phone company have disconnected something in the box that is not user accessable? (When I called, they said they shouldn't have disconnected anything.) I had always thought that the binding posts are directly connected to the plugs by that short piece of black cable.

Thanks.

Comments (3)