SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poohbear2767

Tivo Questions

Pooh Bear
17 years ago

We are thinking of dropping Dish Network.

The system just hasn't worked right since I hit the dish with the tractor.

I re-aimed the dish and checked everthing out.

But the DVR just no longer works right.

We are thinking of switching to cable.

We live in a small town. Cable/phone/internet is thru the phone co-op.

We already get phone and DSL. It's great that since we are in a small town if I have a problem I call Russ down at the phone co-op and get him to fix it. And if he don't fix it I can call his daddy and tell him he needs to have a talk with his son about doing a better job. Ah, the joys of small town life. But I digress....

The phone co-op currently is using plain old cable wire for their system. The are also currently upgrading the system to digital that runs over phone wires. So everything from them now will come in on the phone line. And it will then be digital cable. And if I sign up now I will be grandfathered in and not have to pay extra fees when they do the change over. The new system will come with a set top box that works like a DVR. We do not want to be without DVR capability. But for now they don't have that yet.

Tivo is running a special to get a free tivo box (reconditioned, 40 hours recording time) if you sign up for a 12 month contract at $13/month. Sounds like a good deal.

Now for my questions.

If I sign up now and get a Tivo box will it work ok with the current cable system.

Is a Tivo much different than my Dish Network DVR.

Will the Tivo be compatable with the new system when it is up and running.

If I let my Tivo contract lapse after 12 months, can I still use it as a digital recorder and just record from the cable set top box to the Tivo, since the Tivo will also connect to my computer and I like to save some TV shows (Cartoon Alley).

Any advice or caveats y'all can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Pooh Bear

Comments (12)