SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juliet3_gw

Lutron Faedra Dimmer Died - Why and What To Do?

juliet3
16 years ago

I had a Lutron Faedra Dimmer installed for my single entry hall sconce light, and the dimmer died. Background: the light fixture has an incandescent 60w bulb - very straightforward. The Lutron Faedra is the FA-600, for incandescent use, 600W capacity, single location dimmer. I typically keep this light either slightly dimmed, maybe about 80% of full brightness, or night-light dimmed late at night. After about two years, the fixture's bulb burned out; pretty normal given the amount the fixture is used. However, when the bulb burned out, somehow that made the Faedra dimmer die. I remember hearing a "snap" as the bulb burned out. Nothing else in my home was affected, and nothing tripped. I can tell that the dimmer is dead because (a) I replaced the bulb with a new one and the light still doesn't work, and (b) the dimmer has tiny LED lights to indicate the level the bulb is dimmed (see photo in link below), and those indicator lights are out. This dimmer cost about $35, kinda high for one that now needs replacing, although not the end of the world. I have a few questions:

- what caused the dimmer to die when the bulb burned out?

- if I replace the dead dimmer with a new Faedra, is there anything I can do to prevent the same thing happening again?

- is it the Faedra that is the problem? Or could there be something wrong with the wiring?

- my electrician, who did TONS of WONDERFUL work in my home when I renovated it 2 years ago (and he was Code-OBSESSED, OMG, was he), installed this dimmer at the time of all his other work. But, can I myself replace the new one? I hate to call someone just for this little job, but if you guys think I need an electrician, let me know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lutron's Faedra FA-600 Dimmer

Comments (6)