SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dunwell_gw

Exterior Wood Door Leaking. HELP!

dunwell
19 years ago

Hi all,

I bought an exterior knotty alder door for a new construction (picture at bottom).

The framers were rushing to put it in, so we just stained and varnished the front (used marine varnish) and did not do the interior.

Turns out, although there is a one foot overhang, there's lots of driving rain, so water started to seep in via the two panels on the front of the door. Now that I think back, when I was varnishing it, the varnish would go down in between the moulding and the door. I probably could've poured the whole can down there, it was just sucking it in!

So now, because of this gap, water is pouring into the door and seeping into the back/inside which is unfinished (could not do it because it has been too cold). The inside/back of the door is always wet and now it's dark from mold.

I figured I'd use some bleach and sand to get rid of the mold, but what can I do to prevent the water from getting in between the moulding in the first place? Can I use a clear, weatherproof caulk on the moulding? Should I take it off and try to nail it tighter to the door? Should I take if off and glue it? When I finally varnish the back, will that help or be enough?

I paid a lot for this door (never again) and don't want to see it ruined, plus the mold is not healthy or attractive.

Also, what's the best thing to use to finish this door? I will stain the back, then use either:

1)Marine Varnish

2)Polyurethane

3)Any other viable suggestions

Right now, I have some 6-mil poly on the front of the door opening to prevent the water infiltration. I'm using the back door for entry.

Thanks for your help in this matter.

Best regards,

Dunn

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

Comments (4)