SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
babs711_gw

Help! Front door problem...leaking during storms

babs711
17 years ago

We flooded in hurricane Katrina and had to rebuild. Because we had a solid wood door, it was fine and only had to be refinished and reframed. We have a 4x4 (roughly) travertine tile entry as you come through the door and wood all around it.

We only have like a foot or two roof overhang over our front door. Last night we had a hard rain apparently. I came home from my overnight trip to find my new wood floors buckled by our front door. The rain leaked in. I swear we never had that happen before Katrina. My contractor says that it may have leaked before but we may not have noticed b/c we had tile floors. But you can tell when grout gets wet...it gets darker. That never happened after a hard rain previously.

My contractor's partner suggested putting a storm door there. He said that's the only way too foolproof the door. Our main attraction to our house is our beveled glass wood door. Am I going to have to put a storm door there so my floors won't get ruined or is this an installation problem? Any thoughts??

Comment (1)