SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scaruso57

To Dana (and the other wise women out there)

scaruso57
16 years ago

Dana,

You are really a special person. I was really glad to see your post this morning.

I really didn't see this coming...but then again, I did. If that makes any sense at all...We have been fighting every three weeks for the past 5-6 years. My first mistake was moving into his home. His life was very well defined by his elderly mom (now deceased) who lost her spouse twenty years prior, and the same exact year that my husband's ex died from drug overdose. He and his then 4 yr old son moved into the southern suburbs of chicago to be near her. For the next 15 yrs he devoted his life to both of them. They were the three muskateers (sp?)Enter me. We meet. (The very same year his son went away to college, which was about five hour car drive from his home.) After 4 months of dating, I have been swept off my feet. He told me that after all of those years alone...he was waiting for someone like me to come along etc. Even though I had a son, I was a bit leary of getting involved with someone with a child as well. But I felt so lucky and grateful that he came along...and wanted me. Since I was living in Chicago and he was in the suburbs...after about 6 months we decided to move in together. I moved into his house in the suburbs--- (This was far from where my own son, who was 20 at the time, was living in the city and far from all of my family who live in the far nothern suburbs)---and into his very big life with his very small family. I knew that he was very tight with his mom, who was extremely doting on both my husband and his son, but it wasn't until his son came home for that first summer that I realized that he not only doting, but he was an enabler. He took alot of pride in being the big facilitator of their needs and indulged all of their wants. He allowed his son to start a job, only to quit the next day, because he wanted to "have a fun summer with his friends". Which consisted of getting high every night...in his bedroom, hanging out with the guys all night...rolling in around dawn and sleeping all day. When he awoke he watched soccer and waited for his dad to make dinner for them both. His mom had her own set of keys to his house and would stop by almost daily without warning to bring food or to do their laundry.

It was very different from how I had lived, how I was raised and how my son was raised (He always worked. Was a marathon runner and actually worked almost full time his entire time in college. But heck, I was in love, and I felt that at 43 this was my last chance at happiness.

He was also very tight with his deceased ex wife's family. He said, for his son's sake. He vacationed with them every summer. Even the summer I moved in with him. He wanted me to meet them and become part of their tribe. Perhaps it sounds immature. But I felt like he was forcing his very intense, and by my experience, unusual life, down my throat.

Many, many things happened with the mom, his spoiled kid, his ex-inlaws etc. In retrospect, his insistance on keeping the archives of his marriage in our bedroom was a big red flag. His excuse was that he did it for his son, to show his that he was the products of two parents who were very much in love.

When I told him that I wanted us to move into "our own home" and start fresh. He agreed, but insisted that we stay within arm's reach of his mom and have a room for his son. Oh, and that the house would have to be appropriate for a dental lab, so that he could continue to work at home.

Weak as usual. I agreed to all of it. Which meant I had the 3 hour commuting time daily, and would not be near my family or son. I also agree to buy the house we live in. A historical home on 2 acres with a zillion trees. (After the inspection we got a 30 page book detailing all of the work that the house needed--I told my husband that I didn't want to buy a house in such bad shape...he threw a fit and got his wasy). The renovation was financially, physically and mentally taxing. That was almost 4 years ago and I have been fighting illness ever since.

Over the past years. All of the summers and visits with his son are exactly that the first summer I spent with them. It's so ironic. We were really struggling financialy, while SS was living the high life in our house. His grandfather gave him thousands of $$$ per year which I watched him spend on designer jeans, sports cars, designer watches and music equipment. This is all while I was worrying how to buy groceries and make the next mortgage payment.

My husband's mom, did accept me, but it was clear that she and his son came first. At Christmas instead of giving us a gift and then one to the son. She would give us three checks. Their's would be for the same amount, and mine would be for half of whatever amount they were given.

She died about a year and a half ago.

We have no reason to be in this in this area anymore--but my husband likes having a big house on a big piece of property and working from home. When I talk about moving, he bitterly says "fine, find a place".

Big question: is it me or is he just selfish? Is he an enabling parent, or am I a resentful jealous step parent?

He says that I am an angry woman who does not have a heart for his son. The other night, I told him that I no longer loved him, and that most of the time, I don't really like him. He is not a bad man. He is hard working and was a very loving son to his mother and father to his son, but I just don't think he has a clue on how to love a spouse or what it means to be a partner and work through issues. I just think that he has always had things his own way.

I did suggest counseling. He said we tried that twice already--to no avail. I think that I would try to find a counselor with experience relative to our problems, but I think in his mind the damage is done.

I am a don't like to fail and I don't give up easily. I also don't want to face a third divorce. Should I beg him to try help again, or just move on?

Thanks for listening. And for including me in your prayers. I need them. On top of everything else, I was diagnosed with Lyme Disease. Just started antiobiotics and I am feeling really ill.....

Susan

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH