1 breaker of 220v/15a

Building:

Former garage

converted into 4 units

3 residential units have one 110v breaker each

1 commercial unit(mine)has nine 110v and one 220 v breakers

Problem:

My unit is a theatre.

I presently have 8 small "daisy chained" dimmer packs which each run of off a 110v breaker.

Each dimmer pack has 4 dimmers, each of which will power various theatre lights (often 500w-1000w).

As you can imagine, because of the load limitations in the individual dimmer packs I have to do a lot of math in setting my light levels so that the cumulative draw on any 4 dimmer "family" (ie one breaker) never exceeds the 1600 watt limit.

Intended Solution

I would like to convert from

12 breakers of 110v 15 amp + 1 breaker of 220v 15 amp

to

6 breakers of 110v 15 amp + 3 breakers of 220v 20 amp.

Then I can get new dimmer packs with 8-12 dimmers each and run them off of my new 4400w breakers (as opposed to my previous puny 1600 breakers). Thus I will no longer need to micromanage the load on my 8 puny dimmer packs.

Questions:

1-Does my solution work? Is there any red flag I should look for in my breaker panel

(ie limits on moving from a 15 amp 220v breaker to a 20 amp? etc?)

2- I presume I need to turn off the master breaker before undertaking this work? (I know that might sound like a stupid question, but turning off the master breaker will affect the three other residential units that share my breaker panel)

3-From my reading here on the board this seems to be a fairly straightforward wiring job. If so what ballbark fee might I encounter in hiring a professional electrician? Or is it simple enough that I can do it myself?

Many thanks!

My theatre (and the works of W.Shakespeare which we stage) thank you!

Simon

Comments (8)