SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swampwiz_gw

What to do about non-existent grounding?

swampwiz
14 years ago

I will be buying a very inexpensive house, and had it professionally inspected. The inspector noted that the GFCI receptacles are not properly grounded, as well as the other receptacles (even though they are 3 pronged.)

My question is whether or not I have a totally unsafe situation, and if so, what would I need to do to properly rectify the situation. As for the still safe but possibly negative aspects, I understand that improper grounding could cause problems with an HDTV set and perhaps other appliances? I will also have a room with pinball machines (which are all supposed to be 3 pronged, but some of them have been modified to 2 prong - something i plan to take care of), and I'd like to have at least the receptacle for that be properly grounded. I would think that the GFCI's should be grounded as well, but my real estate agent says that the GFCI catches the surge, so it is not completely necessary, although obviously better.

As for rectifying the situation, my inspector says that all I would need to do is to simply drop a grounding wire down to the ground, which should be be so difficult since the house is raised on piers, and the circuits are all very near walls. My real estate agent says that that would be improper, and that the only real way to fix the situation is to properly rewire the circuits to the breaker box (an expensive proposition.)

As for putting money into the house, I don't plan to spend much time there both in total year, and portion of the years, and would only want to do work that would be an absolute necessity, or that I could justify as being a cost that I could recover when I sell.

As for the entire situation of buying a home, I am in a very difficult situation as I need to buy a very inexpensive house (which by default is going to have issues), and must do so very quickly before filing for Chapter 7, so I need to buy this house no matter what!

Comments (13)