SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nik211

How to make a dark home feel bright

nik211
13 years ago

I live in a townhome and we are the middle unit so needless to say we don't get much natural light.

I grew up in a townhome so I knew going into the purchase of my home that it would have the tendency to feel dark. My husband and I like dark furniture which doesn't help and most of our decor is dark - we can't help what we like :)

I know that if we had painted light and bright colors and we used light color finishes in every room and lots of white accents the house would no doubt feel "brighter". But that's not really our style - I'm not sure what our style is exactly - but we tend to lean toward dark finishes.

What other solutions/suggestions do you have to make a home feel bright and airy? I like my house to feel warm and cozy but at the same time I don't want my house to end up feeling like a cave! LOL

Are there any tricks to make the house feel like there are more windows? More light? More open and airy? I'm not looking to re-paint or buy new furniture, just looking for little things I can do.

Thanks!

Comments (24)