SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marythemommy

Making our house feel more open?

Mary TheMom
5 years ago

A year and a half ago, we bought a small, older house (built in 1971) and have been doing major renovations ever since. Before we do the last step of flooring, I'd like to see if there is anything else I can do to make the house feel more open. I'd love some advice and suggestions.

The original owner built a wall between the kitchen and what is now the dining room (making it feel tiny). They converted the garage to a living room. I've pulled down the wall between the kitchen and dining room and reworked the footprint of the kitchen. Adding cabinets and a peninsula and gorgeous granite counter tops. We also changed the lighting in the whole house.

I'm thinking of adding an opening in the wall between the dining room and the living room to give it a little more of an open feeling. I don't want to move the peninsula and we need the storage provided by the tall pantry cabinet (we're desperately short of storage in the kitchen) so the only place I could add an opening would be on the wall above the peninsula.

The wall between the kitchen/ dining room to the living room is a load bearing wall (the living room used to be the garage) so I can't easily widen the doorway. Plus, that would mean losing my peninsula. I'm thinking of moving the light switches a little closer to the door frame and add a "window" opening over the peninsula.

I'd love some ideas and advice!

Is this a good idea? Do you have a better one?

What you'd see from the front entry (if we add the "window").

You might not be able to tell there is a pass through under the kitchen cabinets and another doorway. in the kitchen.

This is the floor plan with the "window" on the plans.

View from the living room into the dining room.

How it looks in real life right now. The "window" would be where the painting is now (bigger than the pic of course).

View from the entry in real life.

View into the kitchen in real life (this is an older picture so it doesn't have the backsplash, paint, and such that are there now.

View from the living room into the dining room and kitchen. (We're still in reno mode so please ignore the mess.)

Advice please! Thank you!

Comments (16)