SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bigdoglover

Diminishing oak grain on staircase hand rail

bigdoglover
13 years ago

Hi, I'm new to the woodworking forum, and I hope you can help me. I'm going to cross-post this over on the paint forum.

We're getting a new stair rail, posts, and balusters. yeay! Everything will be painted white except the handrail and newel posts, which will be oak, stained a warm medium toast color (red-brown) or darker if I can conceal the oak grain somehow. I'm going to use Bartley's gel stain and gel varnish. I wanted a finer grained wood like maple or cherry, but that was way too expensive, so we're getting oak. Oak fans, please don't be offended, but I don't like the look of oak grain for anything but floors, so I'd like to diminish or conceal the grain. Someone at a store said Minwax has a product that you put on prior to staining, that sort of clogs the pores or something, so that the wood will still take the stain but the grain will not soak it up so pronouncedly.

Does anyone know if this Minwax (or any Minwax) product is any good? Or can you suggest how I should go about diminishing/concealing the oak grain?

Thank you.

Comments (6)