SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Painting Oak Stair Spindles White. . . ?s

User
14 years ago

I'm planning on doing something with our stairs. They're ok but I think they could look better. Not sure what I'm doing yet about the trim piece on the wall. Drywall was offset.

{{gwi:1585571}}

Anyhow, I originally had wanted to stain or paint the railing and treads a dark color and paint the spindles white. Sanding sounds like it would take forever and if I didn't get all the clear coat off it wouldn't stain even. Painting it a dark color seems even more permanent to me. Removing the railing isn't an option. I don't really want to mess with a stripper. DH isn't wild about my idea so he won't be participating in the fun.

For now, I'd like to just paint the spindles white. The grain doesn't feel raised on most of them. I had posted this question on the woodworking forum and Bobsmyuncle said..

"For the areas you are painting, assuming it's a finish that will accept a top coat, you will need to clean and scuff sand it. I am partial to BIN primer, a pigmented shellac. Shellac bonds to most everything and everything bonds to it. As far as "filling the pores," that really depends upon how much of the pores remain after sanding and priming."

Anyone used this primer? So I don't need to remove all the clear coat right? Just scuff? Will the primer cover the grain or only if it's not raised? Will I need to prime, sand and prime again? BIN does say it will cover knots in pine but says nothing about grain.

I did ask more questions there but didn't hear a response back so I thought I'd try here next.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (9)