SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
razl_gw

Mounting with a Plastic Ceiling Fan Box

17 years ago

I installed a 52" Minka Aire Ceiling in my bedroom last night but have a few questions:

My electrician installed a plastic ceiling fan box that I've never seen before. I would feel better with a traditional metal box, but it does state that is it designed for ceiling fans up to 50 lbs and is UL listed.

Basically there are 3 screws; 2 side by side near the outer edge and 1 more towards the center (looks like this one holds the box on the stud above). I assume the other two are not for mounting but just a way to hold the mounting screws in place until they are needed. Right?

Normally where mounting holes would be, are 2 raised plastic tabs. I think these are two align the ceiling fan mounting bracket because they did fit nicely into the slots of the mount. So I held the mount in place and installed the screws directly into the stud just outside those two tabs. Even though the box is plastic, I don't think it matters because the box is not load bearing in this case. Right?

The only issue I have is that it seems to be flimsy side to side because the mount seems to be resting on a small center edge of the plastic box. Did I install this correctly?

Comment (1)