SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emily928_gw

A few window treatment questions for new house

emily928
10 years ago

We're building a house, which will be ready in 1 month from today! We opted out of the builder's blinds package because it seemed high, so we're planning on having Lowe's or Home Depot install basic faux wood blinds. Any insight on which one is better, or does it just depend on the area? I think they both require a non-refundable deposit to come out and measure, but we should be able to get info on installation and blind costs to compare without a formal quote.

I'm also wondering about blinds in the bathrooms and master closet. I don't think any of the windows are the obscured type. We had blinds in our bathrooms in our last house, and I like the look, but we almost always had them closed. I wonder if an obscure-type window film would look nice, or if it would look strange from the front for not all the windows to have blinds.

Finally, I'm brainstorming about how to cover the large sliding glass door to the patio. I like all the light it lets in, but would like to be able to block it sometimes for privacy/TV glare/energy efficiency. I'm NOT doing vertical blinds. I like some of the sliding panels I've seen online, but I'm not looking to spend that much right now. I'm thinking of just hanging a curtain rod and putting up a panel on either side that I can mostly keep open. The door is 6' wide though so I'm not sure if most panels would be wide enough to cover it. Anyone done this, or have any other tips?

Thanks so much!

Comments (4)