SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christopher112_gw

Buying a new home and have a few Hybrid Heating questions

christopher112
10 years ago

Hi-

I'm new to the forum and purchasing (under contract) of a new to me home. It happens to have an older hybrid heating question and as a result I have a few questions. The boiler is old cast iron (25ish years old) and the heat pumps are probably from the late 70's or early 80's. The oil tank looks newer.

1. There were individual thermostats on each floor (not counting the basement), would each thermostat control the heat pump and oil furnace individually? Meaning that could I accidentally have the 1st floor on the heat pump and the 2nd floor on the oil furnace?

2. My second question is I noticed the thermostats were pretty old. The current owner was showing us how in the winter he puts it in "emergency mode" and in the summer he puts it in "normal" mode. I'm not exactly sure why, do you have any ideas? He couldn't explain and just said the previous owner told him to do that.

3. Because the thermostats are so old, do you know if a programmable thermostat that would work well with this system? Do you have a recommendation of a model (I prefer wifi, I'm kind of a geek)? In my existing house I installed it on my own, but at this place there are a lot of working parts I am unsure of.. is it just a matter of matching cables and colors?

Sorry for all the questions on my first post, but I'm really just looking for some assistance on a heating system I know very little about.

Thanks,

Chris

Comments (12)