SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kurtg_gw

heat pump with oil (new house= stupid question)

kurtg
17 years ago

We recently bought a new house (Annapolis, MD area) that has a heat pump with oil furnace (in walk-out basement)as an auxiliary heat source. I understand the former (deceased) owners owned building, plumbing and HVAC companies; it appears that we have a pretty good system with a lot of gadgets if we knew how to work it.

As far as the basics, I understand there is a outside temperature sensor set at 40 degrees downstairs for the oil over-ride (I know where the dial is). Our thermostat is upstairs and has a cool and a heat and an auxiliary heat setting.

We have no clue how we should have the thermostat set for heat or aux heat or if we should be changing the settings (heat or aux heat) based on outside temperature. The oil company indicated there wasn't much usage according to their contract, but the house may have been vacant part of that time while the estate was making it ready for resale.

We've never had any dual stage heat before. I tried searching the web but can't find the basics on how we should have this set to run now that it is getting colder and we need heat.

Thanks-

Comments (16)